Sunday, July 31, 2016

Week in Review - Week 31


Random Thoughts

The summer is just flying by! I was out this morning picking peas and blueberries. There were a lot of peas, but there were not as many blueberries as previous years. I am still very quiet with my reading, but it is more the time of year than a real slump. This morning I would have normally read, but instead I was outside doing things. I miss my quiet morning reading time, but it will start to work itself back into my routine as the year progresses back towards the colder temperatures. I joined Litsy as bookishnerd, but don't actually have a device that supports it. I was just trying to beat the crowds of the hopeful Android release and get my nickname...

Graphic Novel Year

Saga - Volume 6

Currently Reading


Audiobook


Weekly Reading

The Cutting Season (audio) ~ I have heard really good things about Attica Locke and decided it was finally time to check out her books. This was an audio from Audible and I really enjoyed it. It was a bit out of my normal genres, so it was a nice refreshing listen even if the story matter itself was not a light read! A mystery series that brings in historical elements works for me, though, and I am very glad I gave this a listen. If you have never read her before she is worth it! Strongly recommended!

The Hunt for Vulcan (audio) ~ I was so distracted while trying to listen to this that I kind of regretted doing it on audio. It was a random deal earlier this year and I enjoy space related stuff. And, I did learn a lot. I just didn't retain everything because I couldn't always seem to concentrate. It is really too bad and will likely mean a future reread is in order! It was a definitely it is not you, its me scenario. And, it could really be that I didn't learn enough new stuff to hold my interest... Still not a bad read by any means. Recommended!

Saga - Volume 6 ~ Yay, Saga! I was really excited to see what the next instalment in one of my favourite series would bring. And, it was good! I love this series and all ready cannot wait until Volume 7. This series sort of set things up and so forth, but there were still some really good moments and scenes. I am curious to see how events started in this Volume and previous ones will play out as the series goes forward! Recommended!


The Fireman ~ I actually grabbed a copy of this at my grocery store... It is the only 'book' store in my town and was actually the first book I have ever bought there. But, I was in a reading slump and everyone seemed to be enjoying this... So, I took a gamble! For its size it was a relatively quick read! I found that I was very invested in the overall story and enjoyed all of the references made to pop culture. I am not sure if in the end I loved it, though. It was more of a really, really liked scenario. It made me really excited about Joe Hill, though, and I look forward to more from him. Recommended!

New Additons

Monstress - Volume 1
Bombshells - Volume 2
The Perfection of the Paper Clip
Half Wild
This Savage Song

Weekly Posts

Week in Review - Week 30

Weekly Photos



















15 comments:

  1. I think summer is going way too slow! Hopefully August will be faster. July was dreadful!
    I really want to read The Fireman. It looks so good and I'm just so curious.
    I love your pictures. What state do you live in? I want to move there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in Nova Scotia, actually. So, province not State. :)

      Delete
  2. Hey Jenny, Kelly has probably told you already but she lives in Canada! Nova Scotia, I think but it may be New Brunswick. And fabulous idea about Litsy, Kelly! I am so anxious for them to come out with the Android app, I should go get a good username now too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you sign up at Litsy? I'm guessing I need to borrow someones i-whatever? Darn, I don't know a single person with an Apple product!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to borrow an i-whatever to do it. They don't even have a website yet.

      Delete
  4. Oooh, I've read Monstress recently! It's really dark, but really good, and the art is just gorgeous! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad you at least really, really liked The Fireman; I know it was a gamble for you to buy it and try it.

    As I told Amanda, enjoy your summer and do not worry about reading if that is not your thing this time of year. Do what you love and love what you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I did really enjoy it considering I have never been a huge fan of horror overall!

      Delete
  6. I'm not much of an audio "reader," but I loved Age of Myth on my Kindle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your pictures. They're so summery. :) So since I'm not a huge graphic novel fan, do you think I'd like Saga? I've heard good things about it but I'm just not sure if I'll like it and whether it's worth it for me to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This whole year is flying by. I want time to slow down.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for Attica Locke! The Cutting Season was easily my favorite of her books, but in all of them she just does a great job balancing a lot of complex issues. I love her. Totally on the hook for whatever she writes next.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think once my daughter starts school and I have my Fridays back to myself, I will be able to read and blog more. I feel like I'm always playing catch up these days.

    I hope you are enjoying Age Myth. I've been hearing great things about that one and am looking forward to reading it myself. I enjoyed The Fireman too.

    I hope you had a great week and are enjoying your weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.