Sunday, February 07, 2016

Week in Review - Week 6

Random Thoughts

We are into February and I have managed to blog a bit. Yay! There is no reason why I shouldn't be able to post at least once a week, but things tend to happen and the blog gets neglected. If I enter a reading slump that won't help, either. So far, though, the reading is trekking right along and I am reading lots of good stuff! I pulled the next book in some series off of my shelves and made a little pile. When I finish a book, I grab the next book in the series off of my shelves. It is my hopes to either finish or read a great deal in series in 2016. We will see how that plays out. I am hoping by reading graphic novels and standalone books in the midst of things, I will be able to keep the momentum up. This won't necessarily mean reading something for the first time, either. I plan to reread older books before getting to newer books. Wish me luck!

Graphic Novel Year

It is #ComicsFebruary and my goal is to read 29 graphic novels in February. I was doing really well reading one a day until last night when I waited too late and was too tired. I will just read two today to make up for it!

Morning Glories - Volume 5: Tests
Lazarus - Volume 2: Lift
The Sculptor 
Lazarus - Volume 3: Conclave
Jupiter's Legacy -  Volume 1
Shutter - Volume 2: Way of the World
Shutter - Volume 3: Quo Vadis

Currently Reading

Weekly Reading

I continue to really like this series! This sort of was a conclusion in some ways to all the events so far, but at the same time there is still so much to be explained and likely happen. I am glad I decided to get back to this series in 2016 and plan to read the next two volumes I have in the series today. Strongly recommended!




(reread) One of the projects I have had in my mind for years is a reread, or read for the first time, of all of Robin Hobb's books. That is a huge project for a person that is so scattered with their series reading. It shouldn't be, though, because I always love whatever I read by her. This reread started me off and I can't wait to get to more! Strongly recommended!




I started this series on a whim and am so far really liking it! The first volume sort of set things up, but now things are getting interesting and building to some events I am looking forward to seeing play out. The Lazarus, Forever, is a strong female character that I am thinking will be exciting to watch develop. Definitely worth checking out this series! Strongly recommended!



I have wanted this book since it came out, so I was so excited to find out some other bloggers were reading it this month and use the excuse of joining in to justify finally buying it! I have read his non-fiction and enjoyed it, but guys... This was so good! It is the story of love, art, time, family, and so much more. I started out reading a chapter a day, but wound up getting sucked in and reading the last few chapters in one sitting. This will likely make my best of list for 2016. Loved it!

When I got a chance to grab this volume, I jumped at it! It is rare for me to be caught up in a series, so sometimes you just need to keep the momentum going. So much happened in this volume and then the ending... I simply cannot wait until volume 4 to see how things play out. I am so glad that I took a chance on this series! It is definitely worth it. Strongly recommended!



After reading so much awesome stuff, I suppose it was bound to happen that something wouldn't blow my socks off. And, this was the book that did that. As I am writing this post, I hardly remember anything about the comic. It just wasn't memorable and didn't really stand out in everything else I have read this year. I didn't hate it, but it was just okay...




I think I was too tired when I read this and that was a mistake. I loved the first volume in this series, but now there is just so much happening and lots of jumping around... I feel you have to get to the end of the series to fully understand everything. Plus, I loved Alarm Cat and I have no idea what is happening with him at the moment. I imagine when Volume 4 has a release date I will do a reread of the series and see if I want to continue.


I discovered how little I retained of Volume 2 in this series when I followed up with Volume 3 the next evening. I got to the end of this volume and I just wasn't sure what I thought at all. I am not sure if I am invested enough in the characters to care, you know? There are too many characters and too much jumping around to really get a chance to care about a character before something else happens. Like I said above, I will reread before Volume 4 and decide if I want to continue.


After some disappointing reading, I finally got a chance to get back to some novel reading and let me tell you, I love this series! Atticus and Oberon are a great pairing. There is all the gods, vampires, werewolves, etc that seem like a fresh take compared to other paranormal type series. There is the widow that is a fun interlude to add some humour when things get too dark. I just love the series and am excited I have more of the books on my TBR to get to in 2016. Strongly recommended!


Look! I actually read a Terry Pratchett! Terry Pratchett is an author I pick up whenever I see him second hand, own basically all of his books, and neglect him every year. But, this year I am determined to get to him. I will have to decide what to do when I get to books I don't own yet, but this was the first book in the Death storyline and I believe I own all the rest, so be a while before I encounter something I don't own. Pratchett is just so fun and I really need to stop neglecting him! Recommended!



New Additions

Lazarus Volume 3: Conclave (gift)
Tricked (The Iron Druid Series, Book 4) (gift)
Trapped (The Iron Druid Series, Book 5) (gift)

Weekly Posts

Week in Review - Week 5

Weekly Pictures





7 comments:

  1. I really liked The Sculptor as well--did you read the end notes about Meg? Ugh my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! for rereading The Farseer Trilogy. I need to reread her Liveship trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pics! Hope you have a great reading month of ComicsFebruary! I've been hearing a lot about The Sculptor and thinking I need to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great week of reading! I am planning on rereading Moon Called myself at some point. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of wonderful reading for Comics February! And your dog is the cutest, of course. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patricia Briggs!!! I need to read more of her books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such cute pets! :D
    It's my goal too in 2016 to read as many series as possible. So far I'm doing good, it's satisfying to pull old books from my shelves that have been waiting for so long! The good thing about this is, I waited to long the sequels are now easily available for the series I enjoy.
    I loved The Sculptor, it felt like such an important story.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.