Monday, February 03, 2014

January in Review

What I Learned

January never seems to be a good reading month for me... In the beginning I am all excited for the New Year, but it wanes... I used to think it was because I read so much in the months leading up to it and needed a break, but apparently it happens no matter how much I read beforehand. Hopefully this year will be better than last year. I am definitely excited about reading, so hopefully that will help! 

The Books

1. Fables - Volume 19: Snow White by Bill Willingham and Company (January 1, 2014) - 168 Pages
2. Fables - Volume 1: Legends in Exile by Bill Willingham and Company (January 2, 2014) - 128 Pages
3. Fables - Volume 2: Animal Farm by Bill Willingham and Company (January 5, 2014) - 112 Pages
4. Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan (January 5, 2014) - 208 Pages
5. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell (January 7, 2014) - 433 Pages (12 Hours, 48 Mins)
6. Ex Machina - Volume 1: The First Hundred Days by Brian K. Vaughan and Company (January 7, 2014) - 136 Pages
7. The Escapists by Brian K. Vaughan and Company (January 8, 2014) - 176 Pages
8. Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight (January 10, 2014) - 400 Pages
9. Henrietta's War: News from the Home Front 1939-1942 by Joyce Dennys (January 11, 2014) - 158 Pages (3 Hours, 47 Mins)
10. Pantomime (Pantomime, Book 1) by Laura Lam (January 12, 2014) - 392 Pages
11. Barrayer (Vorkosigan Series) by Lois McMaster Bujold (January 12, 2014) - 336 Pages
12. Lucy Maud Montgomery Short Stories, 1986-1901 (January 13, 2014) - 188 Pages
13. Anne of Green Gables (Anne Series, Book 1) by Lucy Maud Montgomery (January 22, 2014) - 320 Pages (10 Hours, 2 Minutes)
14. Shadowplay (Pantomime, Book 2) by Laura Lam (January 30, 2014) - 400 Pages
15. The Black Flower: A Novel of the Civil War by Howard Bahr (January 30, 2014) - 272 Pages (10 Hours, 23 Minutes)
16. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty by James Thurber (January 30, 2014) - 32 Pages (15 Mins)

The Source

Bought: 5 (2 Rereads)
Audio: 5
Borrowed from Friend: 2
E-book: 4

New to Me Authors

Kimberly McCreight (Reconstructing Amelia)
Joyce Dennys (Henrietta's War)
Laura Lam (Pantomime)
Howard Bahr (The Black Flower)
James Thurber (The Secret Life of Walter Mitty)

Series Talk

Fables Series 19/19 - Caught up!
Ex Machina - No idea - These are pricey, so not sure when I will ever get to read on.
Henrietta's War 1/2 - Just need to find time to listen to the sequel on audio.
Vorksogian Series - No idea - A project for 2014 is to catch-up.
Pantomime Series 2/2 - Caught up!

The Anne of Green Gables series is a reread, so I am not counting it!

Challenge News
The 2014 Sci-Fi Experience

The only book I read for that challenge was Barrayar by Lois McMaster Bujold. Sad!

Long-Awaited Reads Month

I counted three books for this challenge: Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan, Henrietta's War by Joyce Dennys, and Barrayar by Lois McMaster Bujold.

Postal Reading Challenge

I read Henrietta's War by Joyce Dennys for this challenge.

Audio Book Challenge

I read four books. Yay!! Fangirl, Henrietta's War, Anne of Green Gables, and The Black Flower.

Graphic Novel Challenge

I read 5 books for this one: Fables: Volume 19, Fables: Volume 1, Fables: Volume 2, Ex Machina: Volume 1, and The Escapists.

Nothing for the Chunkster Challenge and War Through the Generations. The year is young, though.


Books Added to the TBR Pile
January is always ridiculous because of Christmas...

Packing for Mars by Mary Roach
Eight Days of Luke by Diana Wynne Jones
City of Women by David Gillman
Mrs. Robinson's Disgrace by Kate Summerscale
Redshirts by John Scalzi
Beauty and the Werewolf by Mercedes Lackey
The Truth About Stories by Thomas King
The War That Ended Peace by Margaret MacMillan
The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton
James Tiptree Jr.: The Double Life of Alice B. Sheldon by Julie Phillips
The Maleficent Seven by Derek Landy
Gold Diggers: Striking it Rich in the Klondike by Charlotte Gray
Last Stand of Dead Men by Derek Landy
Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor
Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple
Under the Jeweled Sky by Alison McQueen
Letters from a Lost Generation
 A Study in Darkness by Emma Jane Holloway
Shine by Lauren Myracle
Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Septys
Loki's Wolves by Kelley Armstrong and Melissa Marr
Range of Ghosts by Elizabeth Bear
Written in Red by Anne Bishop
The Best of all Possible Worlds by Karen Lord
Love Minus Eighty by Will McIntosh
Once Upon a Time: Shadow of the Queen (graphic novel)
Attachments by Rainbow Rowell
What Makes This Book so Great by Jo Walton
Lost Lake by Sarah Addison Allen
The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches by Alan Bradley

9 comments:

  1. Ha! Just look at the TBR pile! I'll call mine skimpy in comparison, but I do have the two Jo Walton's to look forward to reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did a great job in January! 16 books is amazing, so you have every reason to be proud of yourself. I can't wait to see what you add to the TBR pile in February AND how many you cross off as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha!! I'm always adding more books to the reading pile than I can read each month. I think you had a fabulous January. I don't know how many books I've read, I guess I should count them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even one book for the sci-fi experience is good. It's the taking part. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you mentioned Henrietta's War - I have that book and that will be a perfect read for the postal challenge! You did great in January!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep Kelly, I'd say that stacked up to be a mighty fine January!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean about seasonal reading habits, though January is usually a good month for me (July, not-so-much). Loki's Wolves is on my radar too, though I'm starting to feel as though there is no WAY I can keep up with all of Armstrong's books!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What do you think of Ex Machina? I've keep eyeing it at the library, but am hesitant to pick it up. I just can't decide!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with Michelle: 16 books?!? Sheesh, quit beating yourself up. :) I read seven books and I'm happy with that, but 16? I'd be ecstatic. Plus it looks like you had some good ones, especially the Fables. So jealous.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.