Monday, December 09, 2013

2014 Reading Challenges

I didn't do any reading challenges last year... Well, this year. I decided to do a couple in 2014, though. Nothing too stressful. We will see how it goes! The ones I picked out are below: 

Hosted By Teresa's Reading Corner.

January 1, 2014 - December 31, 2014
There are five levels to the challenge: 
Flirting-Listen to 6 Audio Books
Going Steady- Listen to 12 Audio Books
Lover- Listen to 25 Audio Books
Married-Listen to more than 25 Audio Books
You Define the Relationship- Create your own challenge (choose your own name and level starting as low or going as high as you’d like) 
This challenge is completely laid back. I want it to be as enjoyable as possible.
Audio Books can be any genre
You can cross challenges
You don’t have to be a blogger to participate. You can tell us about what you are listening to in the comments of the monthly link up.
My Thoughts: In a dream would I would like to listen to two audiobooks  a month, but we will see how that goes... To start with I will go with Going Steady - Listen to 12 Audio Books.

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.

Hosted at it own dedicated blog.

January 1, 2014 - December 31, 2014
Wondering what’s a chunkster? A chunkster is an adult book, non-fiction or fiction, that’s 450 pages or more.

Rules for this challenge:

Audio books and e-books are now allowed. You want to listen to a chunkster on audio? Be my guest.
Essay, short story, and poetry collections are allowed but they have to be read in their entirety to count.
Books may crossover with other challenges.
Anyone can join.
You don’t have to list your book ahead of time.
Graphic novels don’t count. Sorry guys but reading a chunkster graphic novel isn’t the same as reading a non-graphic chunkster.

I’ve been thinking long and hard about the levels of participation that have always been a part of this challenge. This year we’re going to try something new: there won’t be any levels.
My Thoughts: I am not going to stress about it. I just want to clean some of the chunskters off my shelves.

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
Hosted at its own dedicated blog.

January 1, 2014 - December 31, 2014
Here’s the schedule:

Jan./Feb.: Gulf Wars (Gulf War/Operation Desert Storm and Iraq War/Operation Iraqi Freedom)
March/April: French and Indian War
May/June: Korean War
July/August: WWI (100th Anniversary)
Sept./Oct.: WWII
Nov./Dec.: Vietnam War

Level of Participation:

Dip Your Toes: Read 1 book for any war
Novice: Read 1 book per war throughout the year for a total of 6 books on 6 different wars
Intermediate: Read 2+ books for 1 war, and 1 book for each of the others for a total of 7 books
Expert: Read 2+ books for each war for a total of 12 books
My Thoughts: I really like the idea of this challenge. I should do it more! I am not sure what level to go with just because I have no idea what to read for some of the wars. I normally read primarily WWI and WWII, so I will have to see what the options are for the other wars and take it from there.

1.
2.
3.

Hosted at its own dedicated blog.

January 1, 2014 - December 31, 2014
Here is how the Challenge will play out this year:

Levels:

Modern Age: read and review 12 books during the year (that's only 1 book a month)
Bronze Age: read and review 24 books during the year (Can you handle 2 books a month.)
Silver Age: read and review 52 books during the year (Are you up to a book a week!)

You must sign up for a level, but once you complete that level you may move up and try for the next one.

My Thoughts: I am behind on my graphic novel reading. I need to catch-up! I am going to go with the Modern Age. I would have to start going back to the library to do better than that. We will see how it goes.

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.


11 comments:

  1. I did the Chunkster Challenge in 2012. It really encouraged me to get many of the doorstoppers on my TBR read. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh that is a lot of challenges! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't decided on my challenges yet -- except What's in a Name, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've selected some great challenges. I'm considering the Chunkster, but haven't committed yet. Good Luck, I look forward to seeing your link ups and reading your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for signing up for the Chunkster Challenge. I would sign up for the graphic novels one but it's not a challenge since I read a lot of gns now as it is. :-) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just a couple, eh? ;-) I hope you have fun with the challenges! So many are tempting . . . I don't know if I have it in me to commit to challenges this coming year. I was only signed up for one this year, and did poorly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've started thinking about reading challenges so I'm so glad you posted this. I found a couple more to think about! :)

    The last couple of years I haven't been into them as much but I think I just needed a break! Now I can't wait! The one I'm seriously considering is The Chunkster because I definitely need to work through some chunksters on my shelves.

    Have fun with your challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6:44 PM

    I'm also joining the graphic novels challenge! I'm going for Modern age :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome to the Graphic books/manga challenge. It will be fun having you along this year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck with all your challenges. Thanks for signing up for ours! Just remember that you can read in any category throughout the year, and just come back to the linky for that war and post your reviews. We're trying to make it as stress-free as possible! Happy New Year!

    --Anna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like fun challenges. I'm looking forward to the Chunkster Challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.