Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Dark Frost: A Mythos Academy Novel (Book 3) by Jennifer Estep

Dark Frost: A Mythos Academy Novel (Book 3) by Jennifer Estep

Completion Date: May 16, 2012
Reason for Reading: Carry on with the series.
I’ve seen so many freaky things since I started attending Mythos Academy last fall. I know I’m supposed to be a fearless warrior, but most of the time, I feel like I’m just waiting for the next Bad, Bad Thing to happen. Like someone trying to kill me—again.

Everyone at Mythos Academy knows me as Gwen Frost, the Gypsy girl who uses her psychometry magic to find lost objects—and who just may be dating Logan Quinn, the hottest guy in school. But I’m also the girl the Reapers of Chaos want dead in the worst way. The Reapers are the baddest of the bad, the people who murdered my mom. So why do they have it in for me?

It turns out my mom hid a powerful artifact called the Helheim Dagger before she died. Now, the Reapers will do anything to get it back. They think I know where the dagger is hidden, but this is one thing I can’t use my magic to find. All I do know is that the Reapers are coming for me—and I’m in for the fight of my life.
I have had this book for a while on my 'currently reading' shelf, but other things kept happening to push it aside. I still find it very odd that I even like this series. I went in to it basically expecting to not like it at all, but this is the third book in the series. I obviously like it enough to keep reading. I guess it just goes to show that I cannot always predict what I will and won't like. I wouldn't say the books blow me away, but they are enjoyable. I think it helps is Gwen Frost, the main character, is a strong female lead. I think there should be more strong females in literature. The strength aspects often get overshadowed by things like love triangles or obsession. While there is romance in this series, it is not as bad as it could be. It is just a guy and a girl liking each other, but there is a lot of drama involved. I was determined that they work out the drama in this book or I was through with the series. That was caused by it going back and forth throughout the whole book. It has basically gone back and forth for the entire series so far.

The problem with third books in a series is it is hard to say anything without spoiling the previous two books. So, I will reiterate a few things instead. The thing I like the best about this book is the use of mythological creatures and subject matters. It is different than the other popular series out there and I enjoy reading different things. It is set at a boarding school, too, which another aspect I enjoy about books. As I said above, the series isn't amazing, but it is an enjoyable example of young adult fiction. I am glad that I got a chance to read an early copy of this book and look forward to book 4!

Mythos Series:
Touch of Frost
Kiss of Frost
Dark Frost (Released at the end of May)
Crimson Frost (2012)

Thanks to the publisher for allowing me to get this through Netgalley!

2 comments:

  1. I said it on twitter and I will say it again here - How is it that you read this before I did?? GAH! I didn't even realize it was out. I need to fix this pronto.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen this book listed as a to read for you, and since I first saw you mention it, I have been curious about the series. I really should get my hands on the first book and it give the series a shot - I think I may very well enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.