Monday, May 21, 2012

BEA Buzz Books: Excerpts from Over 30 Top Fall 2012 Titles

I was having a hard time thinking up a topic for my post today and then I checked my email. I was notified that NetGalley has a book called BEA Buzz Books: Excerpts from Over 30 Top Fall 2012 Titles put out by Publishers Lunch. I am not going to BEA, but I was still interested in what some of the fall releases were and then I decided to share what I think sounds interesting in this post. So, here are some of the books I wouldn't mind reading later this year:
August, 2012
Thoughts: I am going through dog withdrawal. You know how people are always admiring other people's babies and all that jazz? For me it is other people's dogs. I go for walks and have to stop and pet the dogs I encounter. I really like Casey, but I have always been a dog person. Anyway, this book mentions right in the summary that a man lives all by himself with a dog. And it is about a pilot. I have always wanted to learn how to fly a plane, so I enjoy books about airplanes and those that fly them. This book sounds like it contains certain elements of other books, but at the same time has the potential to be a bit different.

August 2012
Thoughts: This book was all ready on my wish list because of Books on the Nightstand. The authors name is actually Matthew Dicks, but I think it is the UK who made him go by Green. I think it also sounds a bit different and Jodi Picoult says right in the summary that she has read it and finds it different, so I am all for it. A book told by an imaginary friend. I am not always a huge fan of children main characters in adult books, but there are exceptions and this sounds like it could be one of them!

August 2012
Thoughts: I actually have this book unsolicited from Simon & Schuster Canada. I think it sounds like a great fit for me, though, so I was delighted by receiving it. First of all, I absolutely love the cover because I absolutely love lighthouses. I have been to every single one in Nova Scotia. So, the minute I opened the package I was excited. The book is set right after WWI and I really enjoy that time period in history. I have high hopes for this book!

August 2012
Thoughts: To be honest I am getting a little tired of young adult books, but this one sounds like it will have a genuine kickass female lead. That is what I am more drawn to nowadays, to be honest. I still am hesitant about romance aspects. I am not doing love triangles any more. I do not care how great the rest of the book is, that is my issue at the moment. And, I have this book from Netgalley. (I am thinking I should be reading and not blogging at the moment!)

August 2012
Thoughts: New David Levithan. Enough said. I am still tackling his backlist, but I have enjoyed everything I have read by him enough to know this will be a must-read.

September 2012
Thoughts: 'A searing, debut novel about young women coming of age in the military...' (from the synopsis). Um, yes, please! Once again something that sounds very different and right up my alley!

September 2012
Thoughts: On the one hand this sounds interesting, but on the other hand I am a bit sceptical. I think it depends on how the romance aspect of the book is played out.

September 2012
Thoughts: Again, a different sort of book. I don't think I have ever read a book set in 17th-century England about a cook. I am getting tired of all the royalty books about the Tudors and such, but I could see giving this a try. It looks a totally different aspect of history than I normally read.

Sutton by J.R. Moehringer
September 2012

Thoughts: I couldn't find a cover online. I have to admit I know absolutely nothing about Willie Sutton, but this look at his life sounds worth checking out. 

September 2012
Thoughts: Libba Bray is one of my absolute favourite young adult authors. I loved her trilogy that starts with A Great and Terrible Beauty, so I am always excited to see something new from her. This book was on my wish list before this book, but it was nice to see a bit more about it. I can't wait!

In Sunlight and In Shadow by Mark Helprin
October 2012

Thoughts: I also couldn't find a cover for this one and that is a shame because I love it! Helprin is an author I have been meaning to forever and ever but still haven't. This is yet another book by him that sounds right up my alley. I must find time to read him! Oh, Netgalley had this one, too! Yay!

The Dog Lived (And So Will I) by Teresa Rhyne
October 2012

Thoughts: Man, I don't know... I mentioned above I am going through dog-withdrawal, but I tend to avoid books about cancer. There are just some things I can't really find myself rushing out and reading about. I think I might have to give it a try, though. 

Consider the Fork by Bee Wilson
October 2012

Thoughts: Once again a different sort of read. I am not so good with self-eating type books, but this one about the history of food and such sounds really interesting! 

Waging Heavy Peace by Neil Young
October 2012

Thoughts: Neil Young is a Canadian icon that I bet could tell some interesting stories. I disagree with the synopsis. This book will probably become a Canadian classic... 

October 2012
Thoughts: That red writing on the cover says 'A novel of France, Freedom, and Forbidden Lace'. Sounds good to me!

And, those are really just some of the books that look interesting. There are others that I am sort of on the fence about... It is fun to get excited about new books, though. My reading has been a bit slow lately, so I think the excitement for the up-coming releases was a fun way to spend a couple hours. I am sure there will be other books that are calling to me in the meantime. And now, I really should go read...

What books are you looking forward to for the rest of 2012?

24 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting about these titles! There area a few on your list that sounds interesting to me. Like you I don't think I'll make it to BEA this year, but it sure is fun to see what books are on the horizon anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! I am curious what will be *the* books. Last year it was The Night Circus and such.

      Delete
  2. Thrilled to hear that you're excited about MEMOIRS! I hope it doesn't disappoint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I get a chance to read it soon. :)

      Delete
  3. I am so hesitant to even begin to look at the lists of books being released later this year. There are already SO many books that have been released that have caused my bookshelves to groan in protest. I seriously do not need any more, even though I know it is going to happen. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I don't need any more books, but it was fun browsing!

      Delete
  4. I promise you The Dog Lived is not a sad nor gory (well, mostly not) cancer story. And as you know from the title, everybody lives, so there's that too. Thanks for including me on your list! And it's a great list--I will be at BEA so I'm thinking I'll be on the lookout for some of these galleys myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, didn't realize my "avatar" didn't include my last name. So in the interest of full disclosure--it's me, the author of The Dog Lived (and So Will I).
      Teresa Rhyne

      Delete
    2. Thanks for stopping by Teresa!

      Delete
  5. I just added John Saturnall's Feast to my wish list on Amazon! lol Libba Bray's new one looks good, doesn't it? I've added it too. I'll have to see think about what I want. I just picked up a new book, about women in WW2 in Paris, A Train in Winter - they fought in the resistance, were captured and sent to Auschwitz. It looks fascinating (and sad too, as most died in the camps.) It's a true story, and about how they helped eachother survive in the camps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always look forward to new Libba Bray. :)

      Delete
  6. I've actually already preordered Origin AND the new Levithan! Very excited about both of those :D I should totally do a post about the books I have preordered for the rest of the year….because I have lots, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to your thoughts on Levithan and Origins!

      Delete
  7. I am COMPLETELY in agreement with you on the whole YA love triangle thing. It is so ridiculous and overdone and I hate it.

    Thanks for sharing this list, though! I think the Levithan book is available on NetGalley, if you want to try for it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is perfect, K! I just downloaded this book a few hours ago. Thanks for highlighting the stories you think are worthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun going through it. :)

      Delete
  9. I just finished Throne of Glass and thoroughly enjoyed it. Definitely YA, but I found it an engrossing read. But...it is the first in a trilogy, and I'll have to wait for more.

    Some other good titles to choose from in this post, Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it was good. Sad to hear it is another trilogy... I hate all the waiting!

      Delete
  10. Anonymous10:07 AM

    Thanks for including me on your list:)
    Shani

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lot of these sounds really great! I never really jumped on the YA train, but I can understand about being burnt out on love triangles in them. Seems every review of a YA book I read there's mention of a love triangle. :P

    As for books I'm looking forward to... here's a few:

    Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness
    Garment of Shadows by Laurie R. King
    Thirteen by Kelley Armstrong
    Gunmetal Magic by Ilona Andrews
    Archangel's Storm by Nalini Singh
    and a crap ton of romance books :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to Shadow of Night and Thirteen, too!!

      Delete
  12. I'm glad my book piqued your interest! Thanks for including The Ruins of Lace on your list.

    -Iris

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Kailana! I found your blog through Goodreads where you linked to this post. Amazing list... it was fun to read through the books you were excited about!!! I'm looking forward to Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend, Origin, Every Day, Throne of Glass and also Burn for Burn! I was inspired to create my own list of YA titles from BEA Buzz Books I'm looking forward to and my mini-reviews of those excerpts but since it was kind of inspired by yours, I'd like know if it's okay first :) I'll obviously be linking to your post!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

I am so sorry, but I turned anonymous commenting off. I have had it from the very beginning, but that is how the spam is getting by my spam filter at the moment. If it is a big deal I will turn it back on and moderate all comments. I also changed moderation from older than 14 days to older than 7.